Saturday, February 25, 2017

P52 - Week 8 - In Memoriam


This is not the image I really intended to share for this week. Signs of spring are popping up everywhere and that always makes for fun photos. Wonder Boy got to kick off his soccer season this week as well. And goodness knows, that is probably my #1 subject through the spring and again in the fall. But this snap of my dad at a memorial service for my great uncle is one I just could not pass up sharing.

Technically speaking, this is not even a very strong image. But I truly do not care. When I look at this photo, so many thoughts come to mind and I just don't want to lose that by filing this photo away in mass storage.

You see, today my family said its final good-byes to my great uncle. He and my dad were particularly close. My oldest brother is named after this uncle. And in turn, his granddaughter is named after my dad. I guess you can tell we were a tight bunch.

My dad read the obituary at the service and barely got through it. He's not an emotional man, so this struck me more than I would have guessed. My dad has always been this larger-than-life character. But in recent years, especially over the past few months, it has come home to me just how mortal he really is. It's not something on which I like to dwell, but it IS part of who he is today, and as such it is something with which I will have to come to grips.

In this shot, my dad is resting on the headstone of his grandfather's grave. And oddly enough, at least at this moment, he actually resembles my great grandfather.

Despite all of the sobering facts of a funeral, this day was actually a really good day for me. I got to spend time with family that I love, some of which I had not seen since we were small children. I got to laugh about the things we did and said growing up in this rather boisterous group. I got to spend a few precious moments with those that helped to shape me into the person I am today. And I got a reminder to hold onto the things that are truly important in this world.

So I share this image in remembrance of my Great Uncle. He is sorely missed. But I hope he knows that he lives on in our hearts and in our shared memories.

Rest in peace Uncle.

No comments:

Post a Comment