Sunday, May 14, 2017

P52 - Week 20 - Mom's Day

One of my favorite days of the year is Mother's Day. It's not that I need some red-letter day on the calendar for my boys to show me their love and affection, they both do a great job of making sure I am loved and appreciated on a daily basis. But there is something about the second Sunday in May that always gives me pause.

It's not exactly a secret, but I wasn't sure, growing up, that I would be well suited for motherhood. I resisted it for a very long time. My better half married me knowing that children were a long shot at best. He had a heart for family, so I was surprised that this wasn't a "deal breaker" for him. But I am oh so blessed that he decided to ride this roller coaster of life with me anyway.

We were married for nearly a decade before I was ready to take the plunge into parenthood. And I must admit that, aside from my marriage, it has been the greatest blessing I have ever experienced in this life. So this is my day each year to be thankful that I changed my mind, that I took a chance on this amazing adventure that is parenthood. I couldn't do it without my partner in crime. He is everything I am not and it is only together that I can walk this particular road.

We actually had a very laid back day since Wonder Boy was swamped under with school work. But we did make it out and about for lunch at my favorite local Tex-Mex place. And then we splurged and went out again for dinner - though technically, that was to satisfy one of Wonder Boy's class assignments.

I think I needed the slower pace this year. I find myself trying to hold onto every minute now that the clock is ticking before our Boy heads off for college and forging his own path in this world. It was a good day and I couldn't ask for anything more!

No comments:

Post a Comment