Sunday, April 30, 2017

P52 - Week 18 - New Orleans

The last day of the orchestra trip to New Orleans included a bus tour of the city, which in turn included stops at a few not-to-be-missed New Orleans attractions.


The tour took us through the French Quarter and included a stop at the City Park for beignets and cafe au lait. But no trip to "the Big Easy" would be complete without at least one stop at a local cemetery. It's well known that, because NO is a city that was built below sea level, that you cannot bury the deceased. So the cemeteries are full of above-ground crypts instead.

This was a wonderful trip. I enjoyed each and everything we did - the dinner jazz cruise was a true highlight - and all of the amazing food that we got to sample. But I'll be honest, I really didn't want to come on the trip. I volunteered to be a chaperone way back in the fall. And I could not have foreseen the loss of my mom less than 2 weeks before this trip. But, it was really too late to back out. And while *I* didn't want to be on the trip, I was certainly glad that Wonder Boy had the trip as a distraction from all of the family business that had consumed us leading up to the departure date.

But with that said, I have to admit, I think I got every bit as much out of this trip as the Boy.

My mom loved New Orleans and I felt her presence each and every day. I guess things work out the way they are supposed to in the end.

No comments:

Post a Comment